Saint-Gobain: Supplying Electrical Insulation & Shielding Solutions for EV Charging Stations
ABLE acknowledges that there is a continuous need to provide solutions for the automotive industry, particularly with the emergence of electric vehicles (EV). As the demand for EVs increases globally, reliable charging infrastructure is necessary to support their adoption. Manufacturers of electric vehicle supply equipment are striving to keep up with the demand by increasing output and improving the performance and adaptability of DC Fast Chargers for the latest generation of vehicles with larger energy densities and ultra-fast charging rates of up to 600 kW.
To ensure the durability and safety of these chargers, it is critical to protect the enclosure from external factors, dissipate heat, and insulate components. The necessary solutions for supporting the growth of EV charging infrastructure include thermally conductive, insulated, and intumescent materials and silicone and microcellular polyurethane foams.
Saint-Gobain: Electrical Insulation & Shielding for EV Charging Stations
As the global demand for electric vehicles (EVs) increases, the need for reliable charging infrastructure is becoming more critical. EV battery designs are evolving to include larger energy densities, and newer models can charge at ultra-fast rates of up to 600 kW. As a result, manufacturers of electric vehicle supply equipment are increasing output and improving the performance and adaptability of DC Fast Chargers. To ensure the safety and durability of these chargers, protecting the enclosure from the external environment, heat dissipation, and component insulation are critical. Various materials such as thermally conductive, insulated, and intumescent materials, as well as silicone and microcellular polyurethane foams, can provide the necessary solutions to support the growth of EV charging infrastructure.
With the addition of more features and increased functionality in charging stations, proper insulation and internal connections have become increasingly important. As the density of components and wiring increases, they must be bundled and insulated appropriately.
Additionally, communication modules require shielding to prevent interference and ensure proper payment functionality. To meet the industry’s requirements for high dielectric, temperature, chemical, and mechanical resistance, a wide range of substrate and adhesive configurations are available.
Insulating and Protecting Internal Components in EV Charging Applications
Multifunctional materials that provide reliable and long-lasting protection from environmental factors, as well as high dielectric, temperature, chemical, and mechanical resistance, are available for design engineers of EV Charging Stations to discover.
Here are some of the products from Saint-Gobain that are targeted toward electrical insulation and shielding:
Electrical Insulation Tapes
- PTFE 2255: A high-strength material with excellent dielectric properties and a continuous duty temperature of 260°C (500°F). This is ideal for high-temperature insulation and cable bundling applications.
- POLYIMIDE 2345: This high-strength material, with its superior dielectric and tensile properties and the ability to withstand continuous temperatures of up to 260°C (500°F), is perfect for applications such as holding, insulating, or wrapping, as well as offering gold finger protection during wave soldering.
- GLASS CLOTH GL.94: This material is highly resistant to abrasion, punctures, and tearing. This makes it an excellent choice for applications where both mechanical and thermal resilience is crucial. It is ideal for transformer coil wrapping and cable harnesses, among other uses.
- PET P.34: This material offers high tack and good adhesion on various types of surfaces, as well as excellent conformability, breakdown voltage, and tensile strength. It is ideal for transformer insulation, particularly in smaller dry-type transformers or toroidal coils.
- COPPER FOIL C665. The combination of electrically conductive copper foil and adhesive, along with the aid of a release liner for die cutting, makes this material perfect for shielding and static dissipation applications. It is commonly used in IC chips, electrical cabinets, cables, and motors.
As charging station technology advances, the proper insulation and bundling of internal connections become increasingly critical. The density of components and wiring increases, requiring adequate insulation and bundling to maintain safety and functionality. Shielding communication modules from interference is also essential to ensure seamless payment functionality
A wide variety of substrate and adhesive configurations are available from various companies to provide the high dielectric, temperature, chemical, and mechanical resistance that the industry requires.
If you want to learn more about the Electrical Insulation & Shielding solutions offered by Saint-Gobain, ABLE is here to help. Do not hesitate to contact us with any inquiries you may have. We are always eager to provide assistance and answer your questions.
Contact us today, and we will be more than happy to assist you!